The idea of launching a new ESA section, focused on science communication, gained momentum at ESA 2014 and received official approval in early 2015.
OBJECTIVES OF THIS SECTION (AS OUTLINED IN ARTICLE 2 OF THE BYLAWS):
The objectives of this Section shall be to:
- promote and support the practice of traditional and emerging science communication approaches by ecologists and science communicators within ESA’s membership;
- sponsor science communication training opportunities for scientists, professional development activities for science communicators, and facilitate collaboration among members through symposia, organized oral sessions, special sessions, and social events at the annual meeting and regionally;
- support ESA’s endeavors including but not limited to interdisciplinary initiatives, policy statements, regional and national conferences, and activities of the Public Affairs Office;
- work with other sections (e.g. Student, Education, and Policy Sections) to facilitate student participation in science communication training and exploration of communication career opportunities; and
- formalize a community of members that have science communication experience. These members would be available for consultation with the Governing Board, ESA Sections and Chapters, Public Affairs, Science, and Education Offices, standing ESA committees, and ESA journal editorial boards. The Science Communication Section shall be a subdivision of the Ecological Society of America and shall be governed in all of its operations by the Constitution and Bylaws of that Society.